- Pakistan is the 8th largest exporter of textile products in Asia.
- It is 4th largest producer and 3rd largest consumer of cotton.
- It comprises of 46% of the total manufacturing sector and provides employment to 40% of the total labor force.
- 5% of the total textile companies are listed on the stock exchange. There are 423 textile industries working in the country.
- Pakistan has supply base for almost all man-made and natural yarns and fabrics, including cotton, rayon and others. This abundance of raw material is a big advantage for Pakistan due to its beneficial impact on cost and operational lead time.
- Ranked 3rd in the world in terms of the yarn production
- $8.5% Textile Contribution to GDP
- $1.2 trillion Global textiles apparel demand in 2017-18
Opportunities & Reasons to Invest
Policy Goals (2014-19)
- Exports of readymade garments increased 43% in value from $1.62 billion in 2011-12 to US $2.32 billion in 2016-17
- To double value-addition from $1 billion per million bales to $2 billion per million in next 5 years.
- To facilitate additional investment of $5 billion machinery and technology
- Textiles sector will be made domestically and internationally compliant with respect to labour and environment rules and conventions
- Adopt measures to increase ease of doing business and reduce cost of business
- Improve overall technological configuration of the sector, remove critical imbalances in the value chain and achieve compliance with international standards.
China is not only the biggest textile producer country, but also the biggest export country. Jiangsu YDTex Group, Ltd is a leading company that manufactures textiles with the collaboration of local cotton and textile industry of Pakistan and YDTEX group, huge economic profit can be obtained in this sector.
Industrial Zones & Energy Projects
One of the challenges for the textiles industry has been power and energy, but with various power generation projects making up 70% of CPEC initiatives, it will enable the industry to produce to full capacity. With approximately $33 billion expected to be invested in energy sector projects, power generation assumes an important role in the CPEC project.